The Stake website and project (“The Stake”) is produced by Livity Limited (“Livity”) under commission from Channel Four Television Corporation (“Channel 4”). Channel 4 and Livity together are referred to below as “we” and “us” and “our”.
1. Please note that Channel 4 reserves the right to cancel or amend the Competition or these Competition Rules without notice in certain circumstances. Please see section 4 of the Channel 4 Competition Terms and Conditions for more details. In addition to these, Channel 4 also reserves the right to cancel or amend this Competition and/or the provision of Prizes for this Competition for legal or operational reasons and/or as otherwise as set out in these Competition Rules. Any changes or cancellation notices will be posted within Competition Rules (including in the links above), on The Stake or if they relate to the Prize after the selection of Winners by notice to the Winner(s).
2. As the Finalist Entries (as defined below) are being judged on whether they meet the Selection Criteria (see below) (which will be interpreted at the discretion of the judging Panel), please note that the Competition judges (acting reasonably) reserve the right not to select a winner, and/or to remove or amend the Selection Criteria and/or the structure and operation of the Competition if Entries are not of the requisite standard.
3. Please note that the Prize does not include payment of any money to Winners. Please see Prize details below for more information.
4. In the event of any dispute regarding the Competition Rules, conduct, results and all other matters relating to a Competition or Prize, the decision of Channel 4 shall be final and no correspondence or discussion will be entered into.
5. This Competition uses Facebook Connect to facilitate participation in The Stake, however, this Competition is in no way sponsored by, endorsed by, or associated with Facebook. Accordingly, you hereby acknowledge and agree that Facebook has no responsibility or liability to you in respect of your participation in this Competition.
6. There is no purchase requirement to enter the Competition and there is no charge to register to use The Stake. Preparation and submission of your Entry is at solely at your own cost.
7. The Competition opens at 12pm on Friday 11th November 2011 and closes at 11.59pm on Friday 23rd December 2011 (the “Closing Date”).
8. If you are chosen as a winner of the Competition you must be available between the end of January 2012 and the end of April 2012 to participate in the implementation of your Idea. See Timings below.
9. It is the intention of the Competition to be viewed by as wide an audience as possible and it will be publicised and marketed to achieve such result. By entering the Competition you understand and agree that (i) your Entry will be publicly available on The Stake (ii) The Stake includes commenting from other users and you may find these objectionable or offensive; (iii) as a consequence of submitting an Entry or winning a Prize you acknowledge that you might achieve a public profile and a degree of celebrity; (iv) if you are selected as a winner the Prize may involve travel, difficult tasks, a large time commitment, dealing with the public and the media, and various other effects which could disturb your private life to a great extent; and (v) if you are a Winner, you will be required to participate in the filming by Livity of the implementation of your Idea and the resulting films may be made available on The Stake and elsewhere and may be broadcast on television.
10. Please note that we limit our liability to you. Please see the Liability section below.
How to Enter
11. To submit your idea (your “Idea”) to the Competition (an “Entry”) you must be logged into the Stake by way of Facebook Connect. We will need to access certain information in your Facebook Profile in order to facilitate your participation in the Competition. Please see the Your Data and Publicity section below for more details.
12. In addition to the Selection Criteria (see below) your Idea must be within the law, must be responsible and it must not be offensive or otherwise objectionable. Your Idea must also be possible to implement within the Implementation Period (see Timings below) by Livity and you – i.e. it must be “do-able” within the budget you have set for your Idea (which must not exceed £20,000) and must be local to where you live. Remember, if you are at school, college or university you must take into account your available free time during the Implementation Period and be sure that you will be able to meet what is required of you and balance your studies or your job with the implementation of your Idea;
13. To submit an Entry you must:
a) describe your Idea in not more than 118 characters;
b) say what portion of the Prize Fund (as defined below) you need to realise your Idea (this must be a minimum of £1,000 and a maximum of £20,000);
c) assign a minimum of three tags to describe your Idea (eg. sport, community, young people);
d) state where you heard about The Stake using the available radio buttons; and
e) accept these Competition Rules by ticking the box and then press “Submit”.
14. Once you have submitted your Entry it is advisable to submit more information about your Idea, such as (by way of example only):
a) answering questions like: How will your idea make a difference to people’s lives?/How long would it take to make your idea a reality?/Do you have any concerns with making your idea happen? / Why do you think you’re the right person to make this idea a success?;
b) answering questions from other Stakeholders who have commented on your Idea;
c) a step by step plan for how your Idea would be implemented;
d) a budget; and/or
e) a video to showcase your Idea (you can link to your video using embed code).
You have until the Closing Date to build up the details of your Idea and encourage other users of The Stake (“Stakeholders”) to back your idea by placing their Stakes against your Idea (see The Stake Voting Rules for more information on voting using Stakes). See the Selection Criteria below for more information on what the judges will be looking for.
15. While you will be able to submit an Entry up to the Closing Date, the earlier you submit your Entry (including all the supporting materials) the more time there will be for Stakeholders to give feedback which will allow you to refine your Idea and to back your Idea by giving you their Stakes (i.e. vote) and therefore the more chance that your Entry will be one of the Finalist Ideas (as defined below).
16. In addition to the eligibility criteria set out in the Channel 4 Competition Terms and Conditions (see the Qualifying Entrants section), set out below are additional eligibility requirements for this Competition.
17. Employees and their direct family members (to include partners, parents, children and siblings), and people living within their households of Channel 4, Livity, Barclays or any company which is materially connected to the Competition (or their subsidiaries or associated companies) are not eligible to enter the Competition.
18. To submit an Entry you must be
a) resident in the United Kingdom; and
b) be aged between 16 and 21 years old (and if you are under the age of 18 you must have your parent or guardian’s consent to participate in the Competition).
19. Your Idea must comply with the Selection Criteria (see below) and these Competition Rules.
20. You may only submit one Entry.
21. You must be available during the Implementation Period (see Timings below) to participate in the implementation of your Idea.
22. Selection as a Winner is also subject to completion of a background questionnaire and a psychological review to determine your suitability to participate in the implementation of your Idea. If we do not believe, acting reasonably, that it would be in yours or our best interests then you will not be eligible to be a Winner and we may choose an alternative Winner.
23. Selection as a Winner is also subject to your execution of a written release form with Livity (which, if you are under 18, will also need to be signed by your parent or guardian) which will:
a) govern your participation in The Stake and the implementation of your Idea; and
b) allows us and Livity to create content related to the implementation of your Idea (eg. images, blogs, etc) and to film you and include your contribution in such some short videos about The Stake which will be made by or on behalf of Livity and will be made available in connection with The Stake project, including on The Stake website and which may be broadcast on television.
You will be given an opportunity to review this written release form and to decide whether you are happy to agree to this. If you are not happy to agree to this then you will not be eligible for the Prize and we may select an alternative Winner.
24. Please note also, that if you are selected as a Winner and during the implementation of your Idea we become aware that you have breached these Competition Rules, provided us with false or misleading information or you act improperly (including but not limited to failing to perform your obligations in respect of the implementation of your Idea and/or failing to cooperate with our (or Livity’s) reasonable requests in relation to the implementation of your Idea and/or otherwise create liability or potential liability for us and/or Livity or any of our partners and/or act in any way that does or could damage Channel 4, Livity or our partners (including Barclays) reputations) we may disqualify you as a Winner and immediately terminate your participation in the Stake. Channel 4’s decision in respect of any of the above shall be at its sole discretion and our decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into.
25. Barclays Bank Plc (“Barclays”) are providing a prize fund of up to £100,000 (the “Prize Fund”) for the Competition.
26. Up to six winners (each a “Winner”) will each win the following “Prize”:
a) allocation of a portion of the Prize Fund representing the sum requested in their Entry (which must be a minimum of £1,000 and up to a maximum of £20,000, although, if there are six winners, not all six winners will be able to have the maximum sum) to go towards the implementation of their Idea in collaboration with Channel 4 and Livity (see below) over a period of approximately two to three months between January and April 2012 (the “Implementation Period”, see Timings below for more detail);
b) reasonable travel expenses (at economy fares and to be booked by us or Livity on your behalf) for each Winner and a guest (who if the winner is under 18 must be a parent or guardian) to attend the one introduction and planning session in London in January 2012 and one review and progress session in London in February 2012 (dates to be confirmed); and
c) support and mentoring in relation to the implementation of your Idea.
27. There will be no payment of any of the Prize Fund to the Winner as part of the Prize. Livity will make all payments to third parties (as determined by Livity and Channel 4) required to implement the winning Ideas out of the portion of the Prize Fund allocated to that Idea.
28. Detailed implementation of the winning Ideas will be planned between the Winner, Channel 4 and Livity and will be based as closely as possible on the Idea as submitted to the Competition. Wherever possible it will be the Winner’s decision in consultation with Channel 4 and Livity as to how their portion of the Prize Fund is spent in implementing their Idea, however, Channel 4, acting through Livity, shall have the final right of approval on how the Prize Fund is spent and the Winner must not make any commitment for payment out of the Prize without Livity and/or Channel 4’s prior approval.
29. If any portion of the Prize Fund (including any unspent part of the Prize Fund allocated to implementation of the Winners’ Ideas) is left over at the end of the Implementation Period then this will be returned to Barclays.
30. At the end of the Implementation Period, provided that a Winner has complied with their obligations in respect of the implementation of their Ideas, then, at our sole discretion, we may agree that a Winner can retain all or part of the remaining assets and/or stock purchased with the Prize. Otherwise such assets and/or stock will remain the property of Livity.
31. Where an Idea earns any revenues or profits this will be paid into the Stake bank account with reference to the Winner. At the end of the Implementation Period, any such profit or revenue will be paid to the Winner at the end of the Implementation Period. Any further taxes or costs (such as, by way of example only, income tax or capital gains tax) that would be payable by the Winner as the recipient of such funds shall be the Winner’s sole responsibility and liability.
Selection Criteria and Winner Selection
32. Your Entry will be judged on the following criteria (the “Selection Criteria”):
a) Creativity – your Idea must be creative;.
b) Initiative – your Idea must demonstrate initiative;
c) Positive Impact – your Idea must have a positive impact on people’s lives – the Stake is about ideas that have the potential to make a real difference.
33. Up to twenty (20) Entries which receive the most “Stakes” (i.e. votes) by the Closing Date (the “Finalist Ideas”) will go through to a finalist round and be judged by a judging panel including judges from Channel 4, Livity, and Barclays. If there are less than twenty Entries then all the Entries will be judged by the judging panel.
34. See The Stake Voting Rules to see how to earn Stakes and vote for your favourite Ideas. You can back your own Idea by placing your Stakes against your own Idea. Voting ends on 23rd December 2011 at 11.59pm (see Timings below).
35. You can submit, add to and/or amend your Entry to the Competition at any time up to the Closing Date.
36. The judging panel will review the Finalist Ideas and judge them against the Selection Criteria. The judges may select up to six Finalist Ideas as Winners. However, if the judges believe in their sole opinion that the Finalist Ideas are not of the requisite standard they may decide not to choose any Winners or, at their discretion (acting reasonably and in good faith), may select some or all of the winning Entries, from the Entries which did not receive enough Stakes to become Finalist Ideas but which they agree meet the Selection Criteria.
37. Winners will be contacted on or before week commencing 30th January 2012 by email (using the email address which is associated with your Facebook account, please see Your Data and Publicity below). If we do not here from you within 3 days of us contacting you we shall be entitled to select another Winner.
Use of Entries and Winning Entries
38. You will retain ownership of your Entries (including your Ideas) subject to the rights that you grant us (and third parties authorised by us). Please see the section entitled “Intellectual Property Rights and Use of Entries” section in the Channel 4 Competition Terms and Conditions to see what rights we have and how we can use your Entries and material you submit as part of your Entry (including but not limited to your Idea).
39. If you are selected as a Winner, we and Livity will follow the progress of the implementation of your Idea and create related content, including video films and, accordingly, under the written agreement with Livity referred to above, while your Idea will remain yours, you will be required to grant Livity and us all rights to use your contribution in The Stake, including as it will form part of the videos intended to be filmed as part of the implementation of your Idea.
41. While we and our partners will use reasonable efforts to provide Winners with support throughout the Implementation Period of their Idea and to provide them with as much information to make informed decisions we do not promise that this information and support will be accurate, up to date or correct and reliance on such information will be at your sole risk.
42. Where you are selected as a Winner any actions or decisions made by you in connection with the implementation of your Idea that have not have not been expressly authorised by Channel 4 or Livity in writing in advance will be the Winner’s sole responsibility and liability and will constitute a breach of these Competition Rules entitling us to disqualify you as a Winner immediately without notice.
43. After the Implementation Period if the Winner chooses to continue with their Idea they do so at their own risk and liability and shall be fully and solely responsible for ensuring they have obtained all registrations, licences, qualifications and authorisations and for payment of any taxes or other sums due.
Your Data and Publicity
44. The Stake uses Facebook Connect to allow users to participate in The Stake including to submit an Entry and to vote using Stakes. We pull the following information from you Facebook Profile to facilitate your interaction with The Stake:
b) Facebook user ID
c) Facebook Avatar URL
d) Facebook Friends user ID (so you can see which of your Facebook friends is using The Stake (only you will be able to see this))
e) Current location
45. If you are selected as a Winner of the Competition then we will access the email address associated with your Facebook account in order to contact you to notify you that you are a Winner. Please note that, if we cannot access your email this way then we will not be able to contact you and we shall be entitled to select an alternative Winner.
46. We will only use your Facebook data set out above for the purposes of facilitating and monitoring your interaction with The Stake website and the Competition and to contact you in connection with your Entry. You hereby consent to us using your Facebook data and any other personal data that you submit to us for such purposes. You will need to ensure that you allow The Stake to access such information, you can do this by going to your Privacy Settings on Facebook. We will not use your email address or other data provided by you for any other purpose without obtaining your consent first.
48. Winners may be requested to take part in promotional activity and Channel 4 reserve the right to use (and to authorise third parties to use including Livity and Barclays) the names of Winners, details of their Ideas, their photographs and audio and/or visual recordings of them in any publicity.
Timings Updated 12th January 2012
50. The Competition opens at 12pm on Friday 11th November 2011 and closes at 11.59pm on Friday 23rd December 2011.
51. Voting/placing Stakes on Ideas/Entries opens at 12pm on Friday 11th November 2011 and closes at 11.59pm on Friday 23rd December 2011.
52. The Winners’ Ideas will be announced on The Stake website on 16th February 2012.
53. The Winners will be contacted during or before the week commencing Jan 30th 2012. We will contact Winners by email (using the email address associated with their Facebook account).
54. Pscyhological reviews will take place shortly after the Winners are contacted on a date to be confirmed between Channel 4 and the Winner but likely to be within a few days of the Winner being contacted.
55. Winners will be required to attend two one day sessions in London, both in February 2012 (the first is likely to be in the week after Winners are contacted, the other is TBC) as referred to above.
56. Implementation of Ideas will start at the beginning of February 2012 and run for a maximum period of three months (i.e. end of April 2012).
57. These Stake Competition Rules (and any non-contractual matters that arise in connection with the Stake Competition Rules) shall be governed by English law and the English courts shall have exclusive jurisdiction.
Last updated 12 January 2012